Wednesday 30 October 2019

Dear Intern or NSP: Nobody will tell you this

 After months of finishing the National service and deliberating whether it is worth publishing, I decided to publish my thoughts on what I claim are truths nobody will tell you when you are starting service or even interning.


In the elevator with the Head:

HIM: So where are your colleagues?

Me: I don't know, sir

Him: As for Ike everything you will say "I don't know" but you know things [He Smiled]

Me: :)

Him: I know you're naturally hardworking that's why you're still here (Time is 5:30PM on the third Friday of July, last month of the national service).

Me: I Looked at him and looked down at my shoes (I'm not admiring my sebago shoes dho)

Him: If I owned the place like I would employ you. People like you rarely come in contact with public sector. I have really enjoyed working with you. Your dedication and Humility will take you far. It is like you're not doing it for money. You have been Consistent.

Me in my head: I work with a nonprofit, so you barb (understand) :D

Him: Isaac, never loose Hope. I've never seen genuine hardworking person who ended up bad. It will pay off one day.

Me: Thanks, Sir


After this short conversation, I went home reflecting on the entire National Service Period and I decided to write them on my blog.

Dear Nsp, I can see you are very excited to enter the corporate world, congratulations chale it has been a very long journey since primary school. I am putting these truths down to help you and guide you as you're starting the service.

1. Service is Hard and never going to get easy

I am beginning  this letter with one of the most important truths, National Service is not as easy as you thought, you will have to understand that it is very difficult, you will deal with people who are older than you but somehow not as smart as you are but you've to be humble.  I will talk about humility but I listed it here because it is one of the tools you will need when the service becomes harder. You will wake up very early to a job you're paid less than half of your skill value but you have to endure, that is the one thing that will guide you to stay focus.

2. Never forget where you came from, 

Please don't loose your identity. You see sometimes youthful exuberance makes us forget about our backgrounds and if you don't take care you will become someone you yourself you don't know --


3. Consistency.

 Whatever you're doing do it well till the end, if it is punctuality, do it till the end. Don't be like this week I will come early then next week I will be late. Nobody will entrust in your care  any sensitive work if you're inconsistent.

4. Hardwork and fakery.

Some of my colleagues were saying they didn't enjoy the service but I can't say same. I feel like they were saying that because they didn't work their hearts out. Some were genuinely lazy. Sorry for being blant but chale that's the reality.
You don't expect anything good from something you invest meagre resources.

We Started the Service with people who were pretending to be hardworking, when they were not. They made some of us look like pretenders too until reality revealed itself to them.

Without genuine interest, your hard work outlook will be seen as fake eventually. Develop interest in your "why".

5. People will lose focus.

People forgot why they're at where they're. I saw people who started off good drifting from their good work ethic to something else because they lost their focus. People followed friends, they forgot they wanted to learn something for the future, on job skills. People forgot that people are watching and people will write recommendations for them. Dear NSP never loose your focus, keep your eye on your target.

6. Humility and Discipline. 

We keep hearing humility and discipline every day but sad reality is that a lot of people lack these qualities when  you look closely but you will need these great tools with you. They will get you more admirers and most importantly respect. Dear NSP, Humility will help you learn excel from non computer science students as an IT guy, humility will help you get the chance to go places, humility will help you learn more from people. Discipline will give you freedom, it will help you know your limits and most importantly it will inject hardwork into your soul. Most senior officers will test you but it is only humility and discipline that will vindicate you.

7. God. The last truth, is the greatest.

 Dear NSP, you cannot do without him. I will not write luther's 95 theisis for you but in a summary I will say. Whenever you wake up pray to God, ask for forgiveness, ask him to direct your ways. On your way to the office keep praying in your head while sitting in the bus. Read some Scripture to edify your soul. Chale, you need favour and grace so ask from him, he loves us he will give them to you. Without God nothing will be possible!

I Hope these words can help you.

Grace to you.
With lots of Love,
Ikay.


2 comments: